Teaching Comparative Government and Politics

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

inside the blog

If you're curious about the sources of the stories that show up in this blog, here's a quick description.

I get suggestions from you. If you see an article about a topic that could be a useful teaching tool for comparative politics and government, pass it on. I'll try to spread the word.

I built a web page with links to the news sources I consult most often. That web page resides on my hard drive. My morning web browsing begins on this page. If you have suggestions for additions to this page, please let me know.

Sources -- click on the image to see it full sized

Every morning, just before or just after my "constitutional" (as Harry Truman used to call them), I spend time reading headlines and interesting articles in the first dozen of these sources.

I also consult the next half dozen, but by then I'm looking for local, personally-relevant news.

About once a week, I consult some of the others and search Google and Yahoo news pages for relevant stories.

When I post a link to a news item, I try to suggest a hook for using it when teaching. That become the introduction to the blog entry.

You'll notice that there's a "Comment" link at the end of every blog entry. If you have a teaching idea, and insight, or a further source to add, please use the "Comment" link to create a discussion.


And BTW, The Guardian (London) announced that my news gathering is now more mainstream than reading newspapers. And I thought I was a pioneer when I cancelled my last newspaper over a year ago. (I still subscribe to several magazines.)

Web overtakes newspapers as source of news in US survey

"For the first time, more Americans are getting their news online than from traditional ink and paper, although the popularity of television still eclipses all other forms of media.

"In an apparently sharp shift in habits, the Washington-based Pew Research Centre found that the number of consumers using the web as a main news source surged from 24% to 40% in a year, overtaking the 35% who rely on newspapers. Television slipped from 74% to 70%..."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home