Teaching Comparative Government and Politics

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Change

I've been paying attention to Chinese government and politics for over 40 years. I'm well aware that politics and government have changed greatly since the early days of the Cultural Revolution. But, since I'm not in China, there are other changes that take me by surprise.

Here's an example of the image of Beijing that's in my head.



However, when I saw this picture below, I realized how much I needed to update my mental image. (You can click on the photos to see the full-sized images.)



For me this is a reminder of the necessity of updating the presumptions I carry around in my head about "how things work" in China and other countries. The UK may be on the verge of electing the Lords, for instance. That's one of the challenging things about teaching comparative politics. That's one of the joys of teaching comparative politics.

Enjoy.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home