Teaching Comparative Government and Politics

Monday, November 12, 2007

Thanks for a fitting reference

As you can tell from what appears here, I make a habit of scanning newspaper headlines. So, I'm grateful for this suggestion.

Sanford Silverburg sent me a reference to indekx, Newspapers and Magazines on the Internet. It's a new collection of links to newspapers and magazines from all over the world. The interface is an attractive world map. You do have to recognize the flag of the country you're interested in. Clicking on a country's flag brings up a page of publications' logos from that country, including some I hadn't seen before.

The choices are limited so far, but it seems to be a great beginning. If students react better to visuals than to lists of names, this will help.

For a long time, I've relied on the extensive lists of newspapers from the Internet Public Library. These are lists of names. No graphics here, but you don't have to know what a country's flag looks like. The lists are not updated as often as I would like, but I haven't volunteered to help.

If I can't find what I'm looking for on the IPL lists, I check out similar links listed at Online Newspapers. Once again, things on the Internet change more rapidly than list editors can modify things.

So, if you can't find valuable articles at Indekx, try the IPL or Newspapers Online. And now there are alternatives to suggest to students as they do research. Send them off to find out what the domestic press is saying about things political.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home