Teaching Comparative Government and Politics

Friday, May 12, 2006

Loss at a distance in time and space

Yesterday, I was editing and updating my computer's address book and came across Chuck Shergold's name. Chuck taught at St. Michael's Univesity School in Vancouver, BC. I realized I hadn't heard from him in a long while. We had occasionally exchanged thoughts about teaching comparative and he sent me references to good articles in The Toronto Globe and Mail.

When I tried to send him an e-mail, it bounced back, and when I searched the Internet for him, I found out he'd died in December. I was saddened to an unexpected degree by the loss of someone I'd never met. But, our exchanges about teaching a course that was enjoyable for both of us, convinced me that his death was a great loss for his students. Then I read the message from St. Michael's headmaster and the obituaries from a couple BC rugby sites, and I realized that the loss of Chuck Shergold will be felt far beyond his classrooms. I don't know what I will take away from this news. I'm still pondering that.

By the way, the headmaster didn't mention it in the note below, but Chuck played on the Canadian national rugby team and on eight provincial campion "sides" in BC before he started teaching.

"Chuck Shergold, 1953-2005

"Well-loved teacher, coach, House Parent, friend.

"On December 13 the St. Michaels University School community was shocked by the passing of Chuck Shergold, of a heart attack. Chuck was Head of our History Department, Senior House Parent in Bolton House, rugby coach, and good friend to so many staff and students. This news was sudden, and was especially difficult because Chuck's daughter, Stephanie, passed away due to complications from cystic fibrosis six weeks ago. His funeral will be at the University of Victoria Auditorium at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, December 21.

"Our hearts go out to Wendy, Chuck's wife, at this sad time. Chuck and Wendy's house in Bolton House is right next to our own house, and hardly a morning or evening passed when I wouldn't have a few words with Chuck about school, or rugby, or his daughter Stephanie, or their new dog, Roxy. Many people knew Chuck more deeply than I did, and while everyone has been affected differently, there is unanimity in our attachment to him as a talented and revered teacher and colleague; a skilful and respected coach and athlete, and an unpretentious and devoted man, to both friends and family.

"In the new year the School will have an opportunity for those unable to attend the funeral - students, families and friends - to honour Chuck. The information will be available early in the new year.

"Robert Snowden
"Head of School"

1 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

St Michael's is in Victoria, not Vancouver. Mr Shergold's death was a very sad loss indeed; he was a great, patient teacher.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home